Sagar is a town located in Shimoga district in the Indian state of Karnataka. Located on the top of the Western Ghats in 14°10′N latitude and 75°05′E longitude, it is known for its proximity to the historical places of Ikkeri and Keladi.  Varadamoola, the origin of the river Varada, is also near Sagar. Sagar derives its name from Sadashiva Sagara, which is a lake.  Sadashiva Nayaka, ruler of Keladi dynasty, built this lake in between Keladi and Ikkeri. Being surrounded by the Western Ghats, Sagar attracts nature lovers.
 
The history of this Parish goes back to the 16th century.   This area was then ruled by the Nayakas (Lords) of the Keladi dynasty.  The advent of the Portuguese to India during the 16th century marks the beginning of evangelization in this area.  Christians who migrated from Goa due to persecution formed the bulk of the Catholic population in these parts. The Nayakas not only welcomed but even attracted them into their realm since they required apt and experienced cultivators.  Influx of Christians from coastal areas in large numbers took place in the latter part of the 17th century.  Blessed Joseph Vas went about from one end of the kingdom to another, rekindling the fire of faith in the hearts of Christians and converting many.
 
St. Joseph's Church
 
The History of St.Joseph's Church, Sagar  goes back to 1892 when the poor but generous faithful pooled all their resources under the leadership of Rev. Fr. D.F. Laurent and constructed a small church or worship. The original church building was a small structure with narrow verandahs on both sides and it could accommodate only 200 people. The old church was subsequently modified by incorporating the verandahs in the naive.
       

In about the year 1875, the Catholic population was 101.  The poor but generous parishioners pooled all their resources and put up a very small chapel for worship near the Traveller’s Bungalow.  Subsequently a plot measuring 88 X 70 yards was granted by the government to the Christian community.  Dedicated to the patron of the Parish, St. Joseph, a modest Church was constructed in 1892. The Church building was a small structure 36’ X 14’  with narrow verandahs  on both sides and it could accommodate only 200 people. In 1933, the Catholic population of the Parish had risen to 1100, and in 1945, the Catholic population was 1500.  In 1987, the Catholic population of the Parish rose to 2279.  Presently, there are 630 Catholic families residing in the Parish and the Catholic population is 3000.

 

 

 

 

 

Home | Parish | Sitemap | Contact
Copyright © 2014 www.stjosephchurchsagar.org.
Powered by eCreators